MIS 322 - Fall 2012




Monday, November 5, 2012

The Power of Technology, In a Time of Need



By Vincent McFarlane

As we all may know, the east coast of the United States was deeply impacted by the Super storm Sandy this past week. Millions without power, subway stations under water, Times Square completely vacant, this storm brought changes we thought we would never see.

In the midst of all the chaos, it would be comforting to know that you can at least keep in contact with your loved ones right? Well for Verizon customers, this wasn’t so easy. The company is reportedly going to lose a large portion of their fourth quarter earnings to repair the damages done by the storm. Millions of people in the New York/New Jersey area are still without service. Sprint customers were said to have had the same issues.

AT&T and T-Mobile actually agreed to join networks for those affected by the storm, giving them access to whichever network had the strongest signal in their area. Residents even used social media outlets such as twitter and facebook to reach out to celebrities for donations and support. It is good to know that technology can serve a number of purposes, such as being a lifeline for those in need.

3 comments:

  1. This is an interesting post because I wasn't aware of the cell phone network situation. I think it's cool that in a day and age where wireless companies are competing against each other to be at the top, they would decide to work together for a greater cause during a crisis such as the hurricane in the northeast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sad to hear and know there are a large amount of people unable to communicate as usual through cell phones. Moreover, this situation makes me appreciate and value the capabilities I currently have. I am able to access and communicate with people all over the globe with the touch of a button. Technology is so advanced we now take numerous things for granted. For example, GPS systems, I Pods, Computers, I Pads, and TVs. BEfore people had to physically work to make things we have at the touch of a bottom accessible, this post reminds me how fortunate I am.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog post definately makes me more appreciative of my current situation. Its unheard of in America for numerous people to not have cellular devices. I find it noteworthy that cell phone networks worked together for the hurricane crisis

    ReplyDelete